Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Smell of fuel in oil and engine cut out  (Read 14778 times)
piacevole1300

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »

Right the pump is off and the lever is covered in fuel and with the remaining fuel isn't a strong push out.

The measurements on the arm are exactly the same to yours Rachaelljf but yours seems to be just a thin piece for the arm and mine has a slot in the middle whether that is of any importance and the design of the body looks very similar and with a small tolerance it is the same design.

Here are the photos of mine I took in the kitchen to the annoyance of my parents Tongue, do you think the 1600 fuel pump will be fully operational with its differences?

piacevole1300

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »

Ok the mystery of the fuel pump deepens because I looked in the boot and found a Mechanical fuel pump box and when I opened it there was a fuel pump which looks to be used and very different from mine also this one seems to be made my Fispa, while the box says Moprod. So I think this has been a problem for a while. I don't know whether the Fispa pump works but the arm is the same mesurments to the one what was on the car although the 'kick' on the Fispa pump is only a fraction to the other one.

Well here is some photos:

rachaeljf

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »

Interesting. The second pump is the sealed type mentioned in the Haynes Book of Lies. It looks like your current pump is a replacement for that sealed type. You say there is petrol on the lever of your fitted pump - there's your problem then. You may as well take the pump apart and see if you can get a replacement diaphragm. These pumps are all very similar across many makes of car and you might get lucky browsing at a motor factor.

You can test the mystery pump by connecting it up and working it by hand. Even if the diaphragm is not split, it may still be no good if one of its check valves has failed.

And you're welcome to buy mine of course. PM replied to.

Cheers R
piacevole1300

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

Interesting. The second pump is the sealed type mentioned in the Haynes Book of Lies. It looks like your current pump is a replacement for that sealed type. You say there is petrol on the lever of your fitted pump - there's your problem then. You may as well take the pump apart and see if you can get a replacement diaphragm. These pumps are all very similar across many makes of car and you might get lucky browsing at a motor factor.

You can test the mystery pump by connecting it up and working it by hand. Even if the diaphragm is not split, it may still be no good if one of its check valves has failed.

And you're welcome to buy mine of course. PM replied to.

Cheers R
I've never trusted Haynes, never will! I will use the one out of my car as a spare but replace the diaphragm, thanks.
What would I do just crank the engine by hand? 
rachaeljf

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »

Just connect the fuel pipes up and work the pump by hand. No point fitting it to the engine if it's a dud!
cheeky monkey

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »

Hi

i recognize the fispa pump with the curved pipe as the same one on my 1300.   I think ive got a spare pump of a different make in the garage ... when i get home i'll check what make it is in case you need another option.  i remember this spare one fitting as i was diagnosing some fuel supply problems ages ago and swapped them over easily. 
G

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

Hi

i recognize the fispa pump with the curved pipe as the same one on my 1300.   I think ive got a spare pump of a different make in the garage ... when i get home i'll check what make it is in case you need another option.  i remember this spare one fitting as i was diagnosing some fuel supply problems ages ago and swapped them over easily. 
G
Ok that would be perfect, did the spare one actually work? If by some devilish chance this pump I bought does not work that'll help out loads! Thankyou!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:19:14 PM by piacevole1300 » Logged
cheeky monkey

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 06:29:51 PM »

The one i was thinking of is actually fitted! but i found a different one in the garage which looks like rachaeljf's with the same measurements. its missing the 'made in italy' stamp but looks the same. 
So one fitted has the circular gasket plate (which i think you can just see from the pic) so is more like the one you have had to remove..  Did you test the old Fispa one to see if it is okay.?

regards
G

* IMG_0639.jpg (302.03 KB, 929x813 - viewed 407 times.)

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:44 AM »

The one i was thinking of is actually fitted! but i found a different one in the garage which looks like rachaeljf's with the same measurements. its missing the 'made in italy' stamp but looks the same.  
So one fitted has the circular gasket plate (which i think you can just see from the pic) so is more like the one you have had to remove..  Did you test the old Fispa one to see if it is okay.?

regards
G

Ah, I think if it doesn't have the 'Made in Italy' stamp it might be aftermarket; but don't quote me on it. Yeah on opening you have the diaphragm which on mine, looks OK but has a fail in it somewhere so if I can work out how to take the nut holding it on without twisting the spring I'll go to the local auto-parts store and see if I can get a replacement and keep it for a spare! (Always good to have spare of things). So is the Fispa pump the standard pump for the 1300 and the one that me and you have are aftermarket? This is all getting a tad confusing  Tongue Yeah I tested it and it doesn't appear to work as the lift arm doesn't seem to lift very high to create the vacuum so it could be seized.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:06:00 AM by piacevole1300 » Logged
cheeky monkey

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »

Yeah, i'm sure the Fispa would of been the standard one for 1300.
hope you get on okay with getting a replacement.
not sure if the solid or slotted arm is of significance btw.  Undecided it is a bit confusing

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »

Yeah, i'm sure the Fispa would of been the standard one for 1300.
hope you get on okay with getting a replacement.
not sure if the solid or slotted arm is of significance btw.  Undecided it is a bit confusing

Well the photo for it is in the manual as Rachael said so it must of been the factory part. Well Rachael has sent me one so hopefully this will solve my woes and worry's then.  Smiley
piacevole1300

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »

Ok guys, replaced fuel pump, oil filter and oil.

Got in turned the key and she took quite a lot of starting to pull fuel through but once she did it fired up perfectly, I left it for about 2 minutes to idle then when taking it round the block she seemed fine revving up to speed, driving fine but as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator and slowed down she died instantly.

I started her again from semi-warm and she idled beautifully even when warm but again took her out for a little while to check if it wanted to die and, you guessed it died without idling.

What could this be?

Also sometimes when starting it feels like I am pulling a brick through the fuel lines so could it be clogged with crap somewhere?

Thankyou!
piacevole1300

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »

Ok, Now the smell of fuel is back in the oil. I give up, I don't know. Could it be too rich of fuel or maybe the float is stuck open?

Edit: Ok its not as strong and the oil level hasn't risen so it could be the piston blow-by has just made the oil smell a bit like fuel because I haven't had it for a long trip also the oil level hasn't risen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:08:31 PM by piacevole1300 » Logged
rachaeljf

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »

I think the fuel pump I sent you should be ok, I took it apart and it was clean as a whistle.

Carburetted Fiat/Lancias are plagued with blocked jets, usually the idle jets. Depending on which jet is blocked, either it won't idle or it has a huge flat spot around mid throttle. If you haven't done so already you need to change the fuel lines as they may look ok externally but they crumble internally. Fit a see-through filter before the pump. Then you will see if you are drawing rust/crud from the tank.

You may need to strip the carb and give it a thorough clean.

Don't feel unlucky, there are heaps of threads like yours on the X1/9 forums.
thecolonel
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »

Have you changed the accelerator pump diaphram in the carb yet ?
piacevole1300

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:26 AM »

I think the fuel pump I sent you should be ok, I took it apart and it was clean as a whistle.

Carburetted Fiat/Lancias are plagued with blocked jets, usually the idle jets. Depending on which jet is blocked, either it won't idle or it has a huge flat spot around mid throttle. If you haven't done so already you need to change the fuel lines as they may look ok externally but they crumble internally. Fit a see-through filter before the pump. Then you will see if you are drawing rust/crud from the tank.

You may need to strip the carb and give it a thorough clean.

Don't feel unlucky, there are heaps of threads like yours on the X1/9 forums.
It definitely feels much better with the response to acceleration. I was thinking of sending the carburettor away to the UK to get refurbished because I am as useless as they come with carbs. I replaced the pipes with thick rubber type of the same diameter measured with a vernier gauge beyond the fuel pump but I haven't replaced the furry ones.

Argh at the moment I just want to see her go like she should I was ready to headbutt a wall when it died on me.  Undecided
piacevole1300

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 01:09:18 AM »

Have you changed the accelerator pump diaphram in the carb yet ?
Dammit forgot about that, tommorow morning thats getting replaced! Thanks for the reminder, i'll see what that does.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: