Lancia Beta Forum
August 25, 2019, 01:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beta Forum Key rings and car stickers now available here : www.lanciabetaforumshop.co.uk/
With all profits going to the forum, many thanks to Mark @ www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voltmeter Misbehaving  (Read 2540 times)
BetaSteve

« on: May 30, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »

The voltmeter in the instrument cluster (top left) has recently started behaving oddly. From it's normal position roughly in the middle, the indicator shoots across to the far right (excess +ve), accompanied by some odd clicks audible through the radio, then comes back to the normal position after a few minutes.

I'd be interested if anyone's comes across this before, and if it is early indication of a likely problem with the alternator ?

Cheers
Steve
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

Possibly the voltage regulator on the alternator it on its way out?  IIRC these can be replaced without changing the whole alternator.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you send the wall across the field once youve hit it.
Lancia Beta 2000

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »

What brand is your voltage regulator?
bosch or marelli?
Have you measured the DC with a multimeter accross the battery, with engine on?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:04:39 PM by Lancia Beta 2000 » Logged
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »

Steve

I'll try this tomorrow and post up the results, I cant recall which is fitted to my red coupe.  I also have a spare in the garage so will check the maker and whether the regulator can be replaced and if there are any p/n's

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you send the wall across the field once youve hit it.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »

Steve,
Apologies but things got a tad busy at home, I did not get a chance to test my alternator for you. 

I'm away from my car now for a couple of weeks so maybe one of the other members can assist?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »

There are plenty of people on fleabay, in the past I have used VEHICLEELECTRICSLTD for regulators.  Just search eBay or look at item number:  300281182015

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1

BetaSteve

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »

Thanks all for the suggestions and help with this, all sorted now. Turned out to be a combination of:
1. Faulty battery; not helped by:
2. Low output from the alternator (13v), so the battery was not being charged during trips; and:
3. Dodgy earth connection to the voltmeter.

I now have a new battery, recondition alternator, a good earth, and one of those ctek 'smart' chargers to try and keep it good condition.

Cheers
Steve
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: