Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:56:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: subframe stress cracks!  (Read 3215 times)
rossocorsa
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »

just been cleaning up my spare subframe intending to use it to build up the spare engine onto then swap over, aside from the usual dents on either side due to indiscriminate jacking (still better than the one in the car) on first inspection it looks pretty tidy but I have found stress cracks where the bracket for the gearbox mount fixes, these will be well hidden on a complete car unless you look very hard so I figure that the one in the car is probably the same.

question is how best to repair the captive threads make it awkward and given its function it needs to be strong, as said I rather suspect I may find the other frame is the same and I need to get this one sorted and built up to save time later

75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »

I had exactly the same problem on my 1975 coupe. I managed to weld up the cracks with oxy/acetylene with a smallish nozzle, and it has lasted for over 2 years of abuse - lots of pull power standing starts at hillclimbs!! (Broke the engine stabiliser rod though). You could always weld the the gearbox mount bracket to the subframe too for extra strength, I have never had the need to take this off, and the engine/box has been out three times....

rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »

You could always weld the the gearbox mount bracket to the subframe too for extra strength,

yes I'm thinking along those lines myself, I think I might weld the cracks then put a thin reinforcing plate on top  bolt the mount in place and then weld the resulting structure together
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

I would cut a hole in the side allowing access to slot a backing plate in behind the stress cracks and then grind back some of the cracks, then weld through to the backing plate, the trick is getting the weld penetration thru to the backing plate, finally grind back to a flat surface.

Then weld up the access hole.
Theres probably a few approaches depends on cost and skill of the person welding i guess.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:31:20 PM by MattNoVAT » Logged

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 11:17:14 PM »

I don't fancy cutting a slot in the frame it's just a further weakness need to ponder on it a bit 
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:59 PM »

in the end we welded up the areas around the captive nuts then put an additional plate on top seam welded around the edges and stitched in the centre to give extra strength, knocked out the dents as best we could (so it is still a bit dented) and had the subframe powder coated in black
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: