Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta thermostat  (Read 3166 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:09:03 PM »

From: paul-from-australia  (Original Message)   Sent: 11/05/2008 04:25

Hello all,

I have been googling Behr-Thomson thermostats in an attempt to find out where to get this part or equivalent.

Does anyone know if they are still made and if not what we can use instead?

regards
Paul from Australia

If you are stuck for a thermostat, you can remove the innards of the original stat so you are just left with the empty shell - assuming its serviceable.

You can then fit a standard thermostat under the water rail where it bolts to the cylinder head - the way Fiat had intended originally.
I have an 84degree (from an Alfasud - at least that's what i removed from an Alfa) and with a little grinding to the opening of the steel pipe with a small grinding stone in a power drill just so the top fits nicely into it.
You then drop the thermostat into the head put a seal on top (or just put silicone sealer around the flange) and bolt down carefully - don't shear them off in the head by over tightening.

This fix works nicely on earlier carb cars and VX's but not well on injection engines because you need a constant flow of water for the coolant sensor.
You would burn a lot of fuel until the stat opens!

Got them in stock.

Andrew

But is it cost effective to purchase from the other side of the world when you can just modify the rail and use a common component for just a few Australian Dollars?

Hutch,

Most Beta owners are wealthy so this should not be a problem, HA!

Bye,

Todd

Ooooooooooooooooooo Nooooooooooooooooooo their not!
If they were wealthy they would own "Aurelia B's" of some sort!

Probably not, but we've got them if they do.   Some people like to keep them original.  We've got in-head 'stats as well - am using one on my hot Monte engine.

Andrew

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: