Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:51:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX Carb set up  (Read 3132 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:15 PM »

From: LANCIACHARLIE  (Original Message)   Sent: 09/05/2008 19:49

Is there a procedure needed to set up carbs on the vx engine it looks a little different from the 34 datr weber i rememember from my 131 sport and beta 1.3 16 and 2.0 days that used to have a c/o mixture screw in the base of the carb . The vx seems to have two matching screews with springs behind them its much more comlex.. The auto choke appears to be functioning fine!

No real pitfalls as such to setting up idle mixture on a VX really.
Make sure you adjust the screws equally - Carb is synchronous..
Just set up your idle speed (i like 900rpm) with the engine warm.
Tighten mixture screws fully home carefully and unscrew four full revolutions each should do to get a basic idle.
Then its a matter of slowly opening up or closing in small increments as you would a 131 or similar to get a nice idle.
Don't be fooled into thinking its a lot harder just because you see "external" springs and seals - this is the same type of carb that was fitted to such sophisticated machinery as a Simca, Chrysler (Talbot) Horizon, Alpine and not forgetting the Solara..........Mmmmmmmm!
You can even use the good old fashioned Gunsons Colourtune plug on this (two would be ideal) if you are not too sure how much to adjust the screws - fit to the extreme plug holes to adjust each side of the carb.
VX's get hot quickly in warm temperatures so try to get it over and done with as soon as possible (no insulator gasket underneath)
forget trying to adjust mixture with the cooling fan running - adjust with heater full on to give you more time.
Good luck!

Hello Hutch,

Do you know the size of the DCA 36 jets from factory? On recent lambda dataloging I found the 45 idle one and the 112 main one to be way too large, I am using right now 40 and 107 with much better results in engine response, top end while providing longer mileage. Maybe my fuel pressure is not std since a fuel pressure regulator was mounted by a previous owner. What is the stock fuel pressure in the VX? It is a pity the little documentation that there is around about this engine. I have an Argenta VX manual but it uses a completly different carburator and ignition system, looks like Lancia engine department (still Lancia spa at the time) made their own tune to the VX engines.

Btw I had to convert the choke to electric since the coolant line to the engine seemed blocked not allowing sufficient coolant flow to warm the coolant choke. Has anyone come across the same issue?

Even with these little issues I have to say I love the VX currently I have the luck to use it dayly.

regards,

Ruben

if you want to make it run a lot better but keep it looking original a 40dcnf will fit pretty much straight on without altering anything much and will give you a manual choke too, I wouldn't waste money and time on the original carb, it is in any case rather on the small side, obviously with a dcnf you will need to sort chokes (usual wisdom is go small) and jets but it will be better in the long run

Yes 40 DCNF is a good "standard" looking setup.
Bolts straight on just as you say - just requiring chokes / jetting.
It's just the convoluted manifold it sits on - does anyone have a DCOE conversion they can fill us in on performance?

Standard Main jets are 112 and idle jets are the Long variety (two styles available with different caps) 45 so yours are (were) correct.
If you are stuck for jets you can use the Beta style with the long jet holders and the shorter style idle jets - fit quite nicely and run fine.
Cannot for the life of me remember what size the air correctors are and the emulsion tube numbers, just in case they have been changed.
I tried re-jetting to improve power and economy but found i killed the overall power though i have to admit the 40 jets are a pretty good idea because most VX's run richer the hotter they get.
Well that's what my VX does - at normal operating temperature (after a run) its fine but leave it idling and she begins to run rich, resulting in the fuel boiling over and causing flooding.
Going to fit longer studs and an insulator gasket to try and overcome this until i make my own DCOE manifold - mean git!

Now you have a lack of water supply to the auto choke - pipe from the front - timing belt end - on top of the inlet manifold usually gets blocked with corrosion believe it or not in the water pump cavity.
If you can be bothered to remove the pump you will find a build up of waxy / pasty type corrosion that bungs up the a gallery at the top that feeds the auto choke part of the inlet manifold - via the cylinder head.
Once cleared - poked out with a piece of wire and blown out with an airline, water supply should be restored.

Fuel pressure is not particularly high on my car - about 5 psi on my HPE and even less on my coupe - which may explain the hesitation on acceleration but its going injection so no point in trying to fix this.
Also if you are interested i have 1x 45 idle jet fitted and 1x 50 in the coupe because it runs like a pig, cutting out all the time until it warms up fully!
Bit of a blocked gallery in the carb that requires the attention of a ultrasonic cleaner i think.

Am very surprised the Argenta SX has a different Fuel and ignition system - but then again you cant get a distributor on the back of the head.
You could on the front of the plastic cover however as i did on a Lada 2.0l - another story.
What sort of ignition does it have and also what carb?
Inlet manifold would have to be cast to have the carb at a different angle - no 20 degree tilt.
Could you scan that part and post it here or send it to me - would be most greatful - Fiat never managed to import any Argenta SX's to this country so i am informed.,

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: