Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: HPE windscreen  (Read 18544 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »

sounds like it's probably built after the 01/1984 revision shown on the microfiche assuming it's original does your glass have a '4' date code by any chance?(??)

Which number is the date code? I was hoping it would look obvious to me, but it doesn't... Huh?

my bad memory also tells me that the bonded screen is bigger (?) than the others.

I'm fairly certain that's correct.

is it definitely genuine lancia? I figure that it is if it has the wire in the sealant. 

That's mine and the fitter's conclusion too.

I've had a couple of screens replaced on Beta's and Gamma's and I've
certainly not had to order a special screen.

Well, let's hope it doesn't come to that. It's purely the tint that's the problem- there's no record of UK HPE Volumex cars having bronze tints.

However my last screen was ordered from Lancia in Italy but was made
by Pilkington in the UK sent to Italy and then returned to the UK to be
installed. You really don't want to know how much it cost.
Geoff

I do, I do!!

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
thecolonel
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »

Ok, well you asked,   £ 740.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »

£740 ................. Christ on a Bike, thats expensive!!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »

sounds like it's probably built after the 01/1984 revision shown on the microfiche assuming it's original does your glass have a '4' date code by any chance?(??)

Which number is the date code? I was hoping it would look obvious to me, but it doesn't... Huh?

usually a single number with a few dots on either left or right of it
spud

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

Nothing like that...

Saint Gobain
3 SUPER VIS * C E
DGM 36828 VSP
DOT-37 M25 AS1
BS 857
FLWHP B
43R-00080
E-00114

What I have just noticed is the front screen is Saint Gobain but all the other glass is Sicursiv climaglass... is that normal?

Anyway, the current state of play is I'm having one made via oldschoolwindscreens.co.uk with the correct bronze tint but unfortunately no top tint  Angry Sad which is a shame as it seemed to be quite unique...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »

vx coupé

windscreen

and side glass

I believe the 2 indicates manufacturing year (1982) although I think that makes the glass quite a bit older than the first VX Coupé yours seems to indicate 1983 (Huh?) AS1 indicates 75% minimum light transmission (legal requirement for windscreen) and AS2 70% minimum light transmission (legal requirement for front side window) the rest I don't know
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:00:34 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
spud

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 10:29:02 PM »

Anyway, the current state of play is I'm having one made via oldschoolwindscreens.co.uk with the correct bronze tint but unfortunately no top tint  Angry Sad which is a shame as it seemed to be quite unique...

Andrew.

Insurance companies can be soooo slyyyy...
My insurance company's glass supplier is AA autowindshields. They told me they'd contacted oldschoolwindscreens as I'd suggested and they were getting me a screen made, in the correct bronze but unfortunately with no top tint because that wasn't possible. Well, I smelled a rat... I contacted oldschoolwindscreens myself to confirm that the order had actually been placed and that it was indeed bronze. Yes. I asked why the top tint wasn't available. It is, was the reply. So I'm now getting a bronze screen with a green top tint which is extremely close to my original screen. I'm sure you can all figure out why I was told it wasn't available with a top tint... penny pinching ba$tards.

Downside is it will take around 3 weeks...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
spud

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

Well... It's now well over two months into this saga and I am still screenless... Cry

The screen that was being specially made for my car finally arrived last week and... didn't fit. When it touched the aperture in the middle it was sticking out at the lower corners by nearly an inch. Obviously the jig they had used was incorrect. So I decided to try a green screen that they had in stock but that was just the same. They were both made by Triplex. Apparently regarded in the trade as the best but they just don't fit. It's definitely the correct screen, just not formed properly. I was even beginning to question the shape of the aperture in my car but it is totally original there- never been repaired. The original screen fits perfectly without any gaps anywhere.

So- has anyone had a bonded screen recently fitted to a HPE/coupe? If it fits correctly, what make is it?

Also, does anyone have a new screen lurking in their garage by any chance? Or know where there is one? Or failing that, a near perfect s/h one?

Nice sunny days and I can't drive my VX  Angry Cry

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »

I fit a brand new bonded screen in my red coupe. It was an original Lancia screen that I found for sale about 3 years earlier.

I will have a look at the make at the weekend and let you know.

Oh and it fit perfectly first time, so definately sounds like their jig is out.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spud

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 10:09:46 PM »

Hi all,

Old thread alert!! Ha ha. I'm going to update this story over the next few days because, believe it or not, my car is still screenless!!!!!!!! I kid you not...

Anyway, more on that later. For now, I have a query: Will someone tell me black/white yes/no- Do the Beta Coupe, Spyder and HPE share the same screen? I'm purely talking dimensions here, not tints. For what it's worth, I think they do... but I'm perfectly willing to be corrected... let me know!

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
markwast
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »

VX and IE coupes had screens with rubber seals, Smaller dimensions to the bonded in screen used in earlier coupes, all spider and all HPE.

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »

Over a year???!!! Jeez!
VXdeMayo

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »

Dear Mark, reading your recent post regarding fitment of screens to coupes and HPEs, can you confirm weather an 85 registered HPE screen I have spare will fit another members COUPE. ("Badnews" has expressed an interest for his coupe restoration project, an I want to give him the correct info). 
Thank you.
Chas.
(VXdeMAYO) Smiley

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
markwast
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 05:49:14 PM »

Hi Chas
It will fit , it will need to be bonded in place.

Mark
spud

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »

VX and IE coupes had screens with rubber seals, Smaller dimensions to the bonded in screen used in earlier coupes, all spider and all HPE.

Exactly as I thought. Cheers Mark.

As I said, I will update this thread with the (hopefully) good outcome soon. But I will say now that if anyone here requires a screen for a coupe, hpe or spider all you will get in the UK is one made by Pilkington Triplex. There are around half a dozen on the shelves right now at the windscreen supplier depots for national supply to the various screen fitting companies we all use.

And none of them will fit your car.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
VXdeMayo

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »

Dear Spud,
just a thought, I believe you live in Cumbria, and we are coming up to Langdale next week for a holiday. We have bought Paul Greenways silver Beta HPE VX six months ago, (the one pictured in this thread), and now have this screen spare. This is from an "A" reg HPE, and WAS BONDED via the electrical wire method. (I know cos I saw it come out!)
It's not perfect, as along the bottom edge it did have a small area of cloudy glass but that is within the 1" black surround that you mention (so should not be a problem), but it's here and we could possibly bring it up??
The markings are:
SECURIT
SAINT.GOBAIN
//DOT-37  19 AS1
E6  43R-00080
     1       H
It does have a green tint to the top as shown in the picture, and is free of dings or scratches.
Any help?
Chas and Anne,
(VXdeMAYO), Smiley

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
spud

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:03 AM »

Well guys, the final hurdle has been jumped. The end to this endless saga of frustration is finally here. My car has a screen in it...
I’ve just read back through this entire thread to remind myself of the whole story. How did it take this long...? Well, I suppose it didn’t really... I’ll explain.
Last April (2011) I informed my insurance company that my car needed a new screen. ‘No problem’, came the reply. A blatant lie! Ha ha.
‘Your car has a green screen in a rubber, sir, and we can have that fitted tomorrow for you.’
‘Er, no, it has a bronze screen and it’s bonded in,’ said I.
This went on for some time... Eventually the chap on the phone said he would send a fitter out to have a look at it and bring with him a green screen to be fitted in a rubber because, obviously, I was entirely wrong and I didn’t know what a rubber looked like...
The fitter duly arrived and said, ‘that’s bronze, I’ve got a green one on the van. And I was told to fit it using your rubber ‘cos we can’t get one but I see yours is bonded in...’ I tried not to laugh, honestly I did. Anyway, he went on his way and the insurance company phoned me to say my screen didn’t exist on any records and that I’d have to have a green one in a rubber. I stamped my feet a few times and said I wasn’t happy with that and that I’d make my own enquiries and get back to them. I discovered ‘old school windscreens’ would be happy to have a bronze, bonded one made for me. I put my insurance company in touch with them and left them to it. Many weeks later it was finally ready and... didn’t fit. Seriously, it was miles out. Sitting in the aperture, dry fitted, it touched in the middle but stuck out at the corners by over an inch either side. Obviously the jig used in it’s construction was wrong. The fitter phoned old school windscreens and the guy said ‘yeah, that’s quite common on old cars... you just get a hammer and you give the middle of the aperture a good tw@tting to make it go down enough for the corners to fit. We do it all the time here...’ Whaaaaaaattttt? Sorry Mr. Fitter man, that ain’t happening here pal. I can understand that being needed occasionally on a 1920’s car but the Beta was constructed by robots- the aperture is fine- the screen is wrong! The fitter totally agreed and went on his merry way with the new screen and my old one which was broken when he removed it. The insurance company rang again and told me obviously my car had been damaged and the aperture was mis-shapen. I told them to speak to the fitter again. The fitter confirmed that the aperture was in perfect, as-new condition and that the car was virtually immaculate, the original screen was a perfect fit and clearly, in his opinion, the new screen had been formed on an incorrect jig. At this point I rang round a few suppliers and established that there was 6 bonded screens in the UK. All green. All made by Pilkington Triplex. Having totally given up on a bronze one by now I contacted my insurance company again and said ‘just bring them all, maybe one will be from a good batch.’ So they brought three. And not one of them was even close. However the fitter who came with them decided to try and fit one of them. He bonded it in and stuck it round the edges with loads of tape to hold it until the adhesive had set... it didn’t work. It kept lifting at the corners. When he came back to check it a couple of hours later it had popped right out on both sides. So he removed it. Then the insurance company decided to enlist the help of a Carlisle based fitter who is self employed and works on his own, as by now word of the job had spread and none of the fitters would touch it! He turned up with yet another screen and this one was slightly better than the others had been. It still stuck up at the edges but only by around ¾ inch each side... so he fitted it. It seemed fine and held tight- when he came back two hours later it was still in there so we called it a success and off he went. This was July 2011. My car remained in my garage (I’m retrimming the interior) until March this year when I drove it out to check it for leaks before refitting the dashboard. Hosepipe on... and you’ve guessed it... drip, drip, drip...
I phoned the fitter chap directly to explain and he said he was sorry but he didn’t work for that insurance company any longer and therefore he wouldn’t come and fix it. I phoned the insurance company to explain and, after three days of trying to figure out/remember who they had employed to fit it they said they would try to persuade him to fix the leak. Sure enough he turned up a week or so later, muttered something about hating that particular insurance company and that he was doing this job as a favour to me as he felt bad about it leaking, found the leak and blamed it on a rusty aperture. I reminded him that there wasn’t any rust and that couldn’t be the reason for the leak. (I’ll forgive him for that, as it had been 8 months since he’d fitted it... but the audacity of some people, suggesting Lancias rust... I don’t know...!!) Anyway, upon removing the screen the reason for the leak became clear- the inner plastic trim is held on by tiny metal clips, one of these had prevented the sealant from flowing fully into the aperture and had left the tiniest of gaps for the water to find it’s way through. The downside was he’d cracked the screen removing it... you couldn’t make this saga up, could ya...?
So, yet again he ordered a new screen and he brought it round to fit it. It was chipped! Aaaaarrrrrggggghh!! He took it away and returned a few weeks later (it wasn’t top of the list of priorities...) with another screen. This one was fine. He dry fitted it and it was the best fit yet. Still not right, still sticking out at the lower corners by maybe ½ inch either side but close enough to attempt to fit. So he did. He used a new inner trim, a softer rubber type from a F**d Tr&^$!t (we apologised to the Italian car gods). We clamped the corners whilst the adhesive went off.  
And it’s in there.
Perfect.
And it doesn’t leak.
Job Done.
Over and out.

Andrew.

P.S.1. As I said earlier in the thread there are 5 remaining screens left in the UK now and I've tried them all. They are all varying degrees of a bad fit... some of them being so far out it is ridiculous. The one fitted in my car was the best fit of them all but still had to be 'persuaded'. Will it crack...? I hope not. It is blatantly obvious that the jig in use at Pilkington Triplex is waaaay out of shape but they refused to try to alter it, saying it was a massive job to change it and there was absolutely no way it was going to be done. So look after your screens guys...

P.S.2. The post immediately before this one was replied to at the time by PM. I just didn't want anyone thinking I'd ignored/missed Chas and Anne's kind offer... Smiley  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:26:09 AM by spud » Logged

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

Hi Spud

First, glad you are finally sorted out, not a saga I would have relished or probably had the patience to go along with.

So just to clarify, did you settle for the green tint screen or was it an actual bronze one in the end?

BTW, glad I managed to get a good old used one from a scrapper given your experience....

Peter
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 07:56:08 AM by peteracs » Logged

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
spud

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:15 AM »

Hi Peter,

It's a green one with a dark green toptint. A bronze one for bonding doesn't exist which is why I tried having one made. And as you read ^ it was a waste of time. Why my car ever had a bronze screen is a mystery that will never be solved... I've replaced the body glass with green items now so it all matches up anyway.
I'm glad you managed to get a good used screen! It was what I was going to do if this hadn't finally worked out, and given that the screen in my car is under a little stress I may well yet still be looking for a good s/h one after the first time I hit a pothole... Cry

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

I'm glad you managed to get a good used screen! It was what I was going to do if this hadn't finally worked out, and given that the screen in my car is under a little stress I may well yet still be looking for a good s/h one after the first time I hit a pothole... Cry

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

I did wonder what the longer term issues might be given that windscreen glass is not designed to be 'bent' and the an eventual fracture was my conclusion. Hopefully it will last a reasonable amount of time!

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: