Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:10:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gearchange idler - removal  (Read 1683 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:55:01 PM »

From: Mikeymikemcmike  (Original Message)   Sent: 14/04/2008 20:00
Hi, I'm overhauling the gearchange linkage on my beta coupe. I've removed the side-link without any problem. My question is: How do you remove the actual idler without removing the steering rack? The "bolt" which goes through this fouls on the steering rack if I try to remove it.
This "bolt"" is referred to in the Haynes manual as the "idler shaft". Is it in fact a bolt or is there a circlip or something at the top. It's very difficult to see the top of the shaft......

Anybody know the answer?

Mike

If you really want to remove it you have to remove a rubber dust cover at the top (looks a bit like a dutch cap)
Underneath you will find a "e"clip (cir-clip) and a shimming washer or two.
Personally never had a reason to remove one in situ - usually had to add shimming washers to remove the up and down slop.
It may still snag the steering rack though, so you will have to support the car and drop down the rear of the subframe to make extra room.
Tricky but not impossible.
Nut on the bottom is just a fixing for the pivot.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: