Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunroof alignment.  (Read 3085 times)
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »

Since my car came back from its first respray the sunroof has never really sat in its correct alignment.  By that I mean it sits slightly proud at the front and it sits slightly low at the back. this leads to excess wind noise and although the seals around the edge are not designed to be 100% water tight there should not be a gaping hole at the rear because the panel is not being lifted into its correct position at the back.

Today I replaced all the arms that screw to the underside of the sunroof, I had a suspicion that mine may have been bent at some point to try and overcome this issue. When I lay them flat they all seem to have different degrees of curvature.  So I swapped them for a set that I know have not been bent.  That did not work.  Sad

So the next step was to look at the cam and the tab that locks the rear of the long shaft and pushes it up, everything seems in place and not twisted/bent, but again I replaced the plastic cam and the spring that holds it in place just to see and also to rule that out.  Again that did not work.   Sad

So, the only other thing that I can think of is that the panel has two hinge lugs at each side for the cam shaft to sit in, I'm wondering if this has been bent and the hinges are now out of line?

If I push the back of the sunroof panel up with my hand it rises up and sits pretty much dead on where it should be - but soon as I take my hand away it drops maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a cm and I'm back to where I started.

I've watched the mechanism working when I operate the handle from inside and the inner lining is pulled back, but as I push the back of the panel up and into place I can't see anything that seems to want to move in a way that should make the rear of the panel rise up and stay up.

It's most perplexing, I've spent about 4 hours playing but so far I've made no progress other than ruling things out.

Anyone know if the sunroof liner brace that sits at the back and has two large spring loaded clips that clip into small holes on the rear of the panel play any part in making it rise up and stay up?

Any help would be much appreciated Huh?

I should add that I'm keen to get this fixed for Bristol!

* IMG_1076.JPG (169.29 KB, 841x632 - viewed 552 times.)

* IMG_1077.JPG (157.44 KB, 765x574 - viewed 499 times.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:10:33 PM by MattNoVAT » Logged

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:17 PM »

Mine doesn't fit right either so that's two of us that want to know the secret...
By the way Matt, that's a very shiny roof!  Wink

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »

By the way Matt, that's a very shiny roof!  Wink

I know a very good painter!!  Thats just after a wash and leather down, no polish in that picture ;-D

When I work it out i'll pass it on!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:06:52 PM »

So, I had a fresh pair of eyes assist me yesterday with identifying how it should work and what is probably not working properly on my sunroof. (Thank you Tony!!)

So, will be doing this job over the weekend and will post the results. Watch this space.

If it fixes it the expect a "how to" afterwards.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:17:06 PM »

Limited success on this one over the weekend. 

I removed the two long cams from a spare sunroof that I know sat flat and level when installed.

Note 1:
I found that the two hinge pins sometimes rust (yeah who'd have thunk it?) this fouls the operation of the 8 inch cam rod and hence if it does not go through its full travel then it affects the way the plastic cams push the panel up at the back.

I stripped everthing out and only fit the hinge pins that were not rusty and I gave them a bit of copperslip.

Note 2:
The springs that operate the rear plastic cams that lock into place loose their effectiveness, I selected the two strongest springs and these made the plastic cams operate properly through the full length of their travel.

I refit everything carefully and the sunrood sits flatter than previously, but its not 100% perfect.  Initially I'd say it was 60%, now its 85%.... so I have a little way to go yet.

I'll keep on working on this and advise accordingly. 

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »

Good work Matt. I'm looking forward to the 100% bit... Wink

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...