Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:54:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alleyne Body  (Read 2516 times)
cheeky monkey

« on: March 14, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »

There is an obituary for Alleyne Body in the March Viva Lancia.
Although i never met Alleyne we spoke a few times on the phone and he gave me some advice on my first betas electrics. Very friendly likeable guy.

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »

Sorry to hear that Alleyne passed away, i met him several times when first restoring my Beta.

Eccentric doesn't even begin to cover Alleyne, ( first time I'd ever seen a peugeot diesel being run on used chip shop oil ) he was always incredibly helpful, enthusiastic and was a fantastic hoarder of all things Beta. May he rest in peace.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »

I am very sorry to hear he is no longer with us. I spent many fun hours talking to Alleyne over the years and over 12 hours in a single day in the loft above his workshop combing through Lancia parts.
He was always warm and friendly with kind hospitality sometimes in tricky circumstances. Some in the village gave him a hard time because they did not take the time to find out a little more about him. I always found it amazing how he made a living converting WW2 chocolate machines to condom machines for the Leicestershire pubs.

A truly great character as only Lancias can produce.

Eric 
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:28 AM »

Sad news, pre forum Alleyne would always respond to Beta 'parts wanted' ads in Viva Lancia.
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »

A sad loss, a real character and nice guy

I only met Alleyne once, we spent a afternoon wading though Beta parts and condom machines, his wife kept us supplied with tea and cake, very nice couple.
Another memory, a couple of years ago I'd arranged to meet a forum member at Stanford Hall
I had a radiator for him, the plan was to meet at Stanford around 11am, but he decided to stop off at Alleynes (just up the road), he finally arrived 5 hours later as every one was going home. He missed the Auto Italia event but had a very memorable day.

Tony

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
johnb

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »

End of an era. Alleyne was definitely a character. I went to visit him a couple of times. He was very generous with his time and knowledge. He gave me a few Beta parts at a fraction of their worth. Top bloke.

1977 Beta 2000 HPE (2nd Series), 1981 Beta 2000 Coupe (2nd Series/FL), 1988 Delta HF Integrale 8v
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: