Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:17:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX Dipstick  (Read 1645 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

From: HurryingPete  (Original Message)   Sent: 09/04/2008 20:35
I am sure that this subject has cropped up before.  Whilst carefully withdrawing the dipstick it snapped & the bottom section is now in the sump.  An oil change was due anyway but I will now have to drop the sump as well.  Any suggestions as to a suitable replacement for the (presumably) nylon tube?  I am thinking of trying PTFE.

Peter

You won't have to drop your sump to remove the offending piece of dip stick.
It wont do any harm in the sump contrary to "suggestions" i have had in the past.
It's far too big to find it's way into the oil pump (Gauze filter on the pick up) and will spend the rest of its life stuck to the bottom of the sump.
A suitable material to replace the brown plastic? - never managed to find anything suitable but you can make a custom dipstick (blade type like the Saloon) by modifying a Saloon one by filing a high and low notch after cutting it to size.
If i am not mistaken i am sure Betacar used to sell replacement VX dipsticks.

Bad luck Pete, but even the gentlest handling can make the brittle plastic snap. It's an awful feeling when it happens. Jeeze don't use PTFE that will cause no end of probs if that gets into the oilways. An IE engine I broke a few years back had about 4 pieces of stick in the sump no where near the pump though which as mentioned has a gauze cover. Don't take the sump off just to get the piece(s) out!!!! Full on hard work there mate. Quick solution is trundle the scrappers and see what you can find. Don't bother with another hollow one for the gauge it is so hit and miss anyway. I'll measure mine solid metal one (straight 2litre) if that'll be of help to give you some idea where to make your marks on a substitute. A few years back at a show I saw one owner had straightened a wire coat hanger pushing it through a rubber/bung cork - full on DIY cheap repair.

Bettacoop

Thanks for all the information.
Fortunatetly I took the precaution some years ago of measuring the dipstick lengths as follows:
Overall insertion length     46.2mm
Length to lower mark       44.9mm
Length to upper mark       43.5mm
Might be of use to other VX owners.
I am keen to keep the tubular dipstick as in 29 years of  running Betas I have always used the gauge to check oil level, only removing the stick to check oil condition.  I know from work experience that passing fluids thro' nylon tubing up to 40degC soon causes to nylon to go brittle but we regularly use PTFE seals & tubing with oil up to 200degC.  Now that you have reassured me not to drop the sump, I will make up a new end piece and refurbish the dipstick.

Peter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: