Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:34:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Dipstick Tube Seal  (Read 2511 times)
dougdee123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »

I recently discovered that a lot of the engine oil had been ejected and spread liberally all over the engine compartment. There was drama and a sudden drop in oil pressure due to the oil going away over a perio.

Checking the possible sources I find that when the engine was rebuilt last year they company that did the job have attempted to seal the dipstick tube into the block using silicone sealer. This doesn't work.

The arrangement I have is non standard because I have a GC inlet manifold and the tube can't be bolted in. It has been bent slightly to clear the manifold. The tube is retained in the block with a chunky spring acting vertically to the uppermost of the two studs on the front of the block.

Does anybody know of a source for the correct top hat type insert or, failing that, how have other people sealed this up?

As always, I will be grateful for any insights.

Doug
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

Doug,

Try using Loctite 5900 flange sealant, expensive but good, I have used it to repair cracks in timing gear cases on diesel engines! Must be completely free of oil before using it.

Alternatively try finding an earlier style dipstick that goes straight into the block so does not need the tube. That is the set up I have with a GC inlet manifold. The problem with this is that it is fiddly to get the dipstick in and out especially with a baffled sump.

Regards Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: