Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:46:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vx won't idle  (Read 5209 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »

Hi all,
My HPE VX won't idle. It did run fine when I got it last spring but after it sat for a few weeks during the summer it refused to idle. It is unaffected by engine temperature- I can sit with it at 1800rpm until it's thoroughly warm and once I take my foot off the accelerator it instantly dies... Sad. It will rev happily to the redline without hesitation and it sounds as it should. If I allow the revs to drop below 1800rpm the revcounter immediately divebombs and I have to feather the throttle to get them back up.
It's on the original weber. I've removed the two carb jets that are on either side of the carb near the top and blown them through, although they weren't visibly blocked with anything, but it made no difference whatsoever. It's quite frustrating as I just want to get it mot'd and use it to evaluate my suspension/brake mods...

I do intend to fit a DCNF in a while but for now I just want it mot'd and usable. Nothing on the carb/fuel system has been touched/altered.
Any ideas?

Huh? Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
JoeBeta

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »

Hi Andrew,

Is it the Weber 34 DATR Carb.

If so on the back of the Carb (Towards the rear of the carb)  There is a cylindrical sensor with a wire attached (by spade terminal) if this wire gets disconnected the carb won't idle..

I think this is the idle control valve??

Had same problem when i knocked this wire off??

cheers

Joe
Ammy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »

Hi Andrew,
Joe is correct,  the shut off valve on the cambox side of the carb. is an electrically operated solinoid and stops any "running on" when the ignition is switched off. If faulty, it will stop fuel going thro. via the slow running jets and therefore stall.  It's quite easy to check the operation.  Take it out, hold the body to earth and take a live supply to the terminal and see it click in and out.  If it doesn't move you've found your problem. Ammy
spud

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
It's a 36 dca on the vx cars. I am aware of the fuel solenoid on the 34 datr- it left my old Montecarlo stranded one night until I spotted the broken wire. The 36 dca doesn't seem to have this solonoid, not that I can see anyway...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
blazer_one

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »

Hi Spud

i too had the same problem with my vx and it turned out it was down to a bit of crap in the slow running jet in the carb.
cleaned it out and now no probs

hope it helps.

By the way i know your in out in west cumbria and was wondering if you have a spare starter mounter cos mine keeps sticking

regards

simon

Simon from Carlisle

1984 beta coupe vx and 1981 monte spyder
spud

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 11:07:09 AM »

Hi Simon,

I tried cleaning the jets through but it didn't improve. I'll give it another go. I suppose that's all it can be, surely? It revs fine afterall.

Yes I do have a spare starter motor. PM me your mobile number- I did have it somewhere from last year but I don't seem to have it now. I'm in Carlisle on wednesday so I could bring it through for you.  Smiley

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »

I'd try taking the carb off and removing all the jets and blowing through all the orifices in the body a few years back I had a Beta berlina that had stood for a while which ran very badly and that cured it despite nothing appearing to come out!! just blowing through the jets alone didn't help
blazer_one

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:33 AM »

Hi Andrew

sorry to not coming back to you earlier but been busy and not looked at the forum
my telephone number is 07973 189483.

thanks for your help ad hope you got the idleing problem sorted

regards

simon

Simon from Carlisle

1984 beta coupe vx and 1981 monte spyder
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: