Lancia Beta Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:27:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyder pre-facelift headlamps-How hard to find?  (Read 2444 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: June 05, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »

I went about focusing the headlamps on my 1978 spyder yesterday as the beams were "off" to say the least!
Dipped beams were as high as the mains should be, the NS main illuminated the white line about 2 yards in front of the car and the OS main blinded nesting birds in the NS hedgerows.
Anyway, the glass is in good condition, the chrome bezels are good, the reflectors are perfect and the adjusters are broken and missing!
Have I any business seeking reasonably priced replacement headlamps in good condition or sholud, or could, I dismantle and repair my own units?
I doubt I'd find a set in better condition cosmetically and I imagine the adjusters are pretty shot on any lamps of this age and type.
What're the experiences of you folk regarding this issue?
I'm not really interested in paying hundreds for NOS units as the car isn't worth a huge amount anyway so reality is a strong factor in the end.

Rust never sleeps
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

Are these the single piece headlights with the large rectangular lens over a pair of reflectors? LIke this one?

If so then good second hand ones or NOS ones are pretty hard to come by to suit right hand drive cars and even then you might have to settle for the Siem units out of an HPE rather than the Carello ones it's supposed to have. There were some in Oz but they wanted serious money for them. It took me a couple of years to get a correct pair.
If the reflectors and lenses are good I'd suggest taking them apart and repairing them. The clips that hold the reflectors to the adjusters do break if someone has tried to over adjust them but I have some decent ones.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:30:04 PM by HFStuart » Logged
droptop

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »

I have one of each make on mine and now I know I can dismantle them, I'll plan to do so as part of the Winter "keep sane" project.
Figured they'd be scarce all right.
I'll be in touch regarding the clips when I get them apart and all will be well again, I hope.

Rust never sleeps
markwast
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

Hi , i have a few from a HPE in good nick, new or nearly new, not sure what side they are, but with simple mod can be used on Coupe.spider.

droptop

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »

Hi Mark.
How do they differ from model to model?
Is there much involved in modifying them?

Rust never sleeps
markwast
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

HPE has self levelling so one of the dipped lamp adjusters is connected to the car.
Mod would involve gluing in plastic clip and fitting manual adjuster rod.

Mark
droptop

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »

Be as easy to refurbish my own ones so as I'd have to take them apart anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: