Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:40:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethanol in fuel - big problem or scaremongering?  (Read 1491 times)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Graham Stewart

« on: July 12, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »

I've been reading an increasing amount of stuff on the Internet relating to Ethanol in fuel and how it affects older vehicles like ours. At present up to 5% ethanol can be added to fuel and there is no requirement to publicise the fact at the pump. This figure will (I believe) increase to 10% in 2013.

From what I have read, a lot (if not all) of the materials used in older vehicles fuel systems are 'at risk' as the quantity of Ethanol in fuel increases. Most rubbers are not resistant to Ethanol, and brass, copper and zinc (most of the constituent parts of a carburettor) are also affected to a greater or lesser degree. Ethanol (or the water that is deposited when the fuel degrades and breaks down) also accelerates rusting in steel structures such as fuel tanks, especially when vehicles are used infrequently.

Is this something we should be concerned about (it certainly seems so to me), and if so what can we do to mitigate the effects on our vehicles?

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

I think it's a lot like unleaded / leaded question.
Biggest problem with ethanol Is that it will wash
the fuel system and lots of unwanted residue will
head for the carb. A good supply of disposable
filters in the engine bay will solve this, the other
problem is that it will absorb water and will not
suit cars that sit in garages for six months at a time.

It will also be quite a ling time until we are up to
the 15 % , 5% had been around for a while and
has not, as yet, had any detrimental effect.

Geoff
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »

There are additives already available for the long layup, but the fuel tanks in Betas are frequently horribly rusty inside and this will not help at all. I had a VX tank more than a quarter full of rust and scale and it looked great on the outside. In my opinion every Beta owner should be removing the fuel level sender and looking in.

Eric
Ryan

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 11:12:31 PM »

Here in the States, 10% has been the norm for a few years now.  I really havent noticed too much of a change other than a slight decrease in fuel economy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: