Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing crankshaft pulley nut?  (Read 1782 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 31, 2016, 11:57:14 AM »

Hi folks
I'm hoping someone can advise me on the best way to losen the crankshaft pulley nut taking the following into account?
The car currently has no brakes and no way of holding the crank stationary by putting the car in gear and applying the brakes as I've done in the past.
There is insufficient clearence to allow me to use a breaker bar if I lower the car onto its' wheels and chock them to substitute for lack of brakes
The car is currently partially dismantled and immovable and I've considered removing the gear linkage where it passes over the grommet in the bellhousing that allows you to see the flywheel timing marks and jamming something in the clutch plate and allowing it to rest against the edge of the bellhousing but I can envisage several undesirable consequences to such a move such as damaging the pressure plate, wringing a mounting bolt or taking a chunk out of the bellhousing.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Rust never sleeps
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »

Lock the flywheel as recommended in the workshop manual. I made a plate with the four necessary holes,  though,  getting the flywheel holes in the correct place can be a bit of a pain ! ! !
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »

Having seen what a decent windy gun can do, I then suggest you use one of those as puts far less overall stress on the engine etc then bouncing on a breaker bar.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:47 PM »

Thanks guys.
After posting my question, I had a flash of inspiration and read the four pages in which the topic was thoroughly covered so I removed the lower cover plate on the bell housing and wedged a screwdriver into the ring gear and a substantial tug on a 700 mm breaker bar later, I had the nut loose.
the pulley slid handily off the shaft without having to resort to pullers or levering it and then it was time to go to work.
Tomorrow, I'll pop on the new belt and fit a new coolant pump so things are moving along nicely.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: