Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got an itch....................  (Read 3014 times)
Skirmish

« on: November 21, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »

And it needs a good scratch.

Back in the late seventies my dad got a Lancia Beta Saloon. It was only the 1300 but I believe at the time it was the most powerful production 1300 around thanks to it's DOHC. Unfortunately for the car it's arrival coincided with me just passing my driving test. It replaced the family Marina TC in which I'd done a lot of the learning. It had obviously therefore had a rather hard life. The poor Lancia was to have an equally rigorous life too as it was to spend a lot of it's life being driven exactly how I thought a Lancia should be driven. Living close to the Pennines we have some great roads and the Lancia and me got to know them well. As I'm sure you well know though a Beta of this age was living on borrowed time and the corrosion recall meant it's time was up. Somehow, by someone driving into the back of it, (while I was driving) the insurance settlement and the trade in value resulted in the 1300 being upgraded to a 1600 which was then kept for several years.

Since then I've had all sorts of cars including quite a few Fiats and my favourite, a metallic black X1/9. Nowadays though life is boring and I've got a Focus but with my 50th coming up next year I'm starting to get an itch, an Italian, well actually a Lancia itch! So, I'm now on the look out for either Beta Coupe or a HPE. I keep seeing them advertised but I'm biding my time.

I was hoping to have got along to the Classic Show last week but a very painful back unfortunately kept me away.

Anyway. I thought I'd say hello and if I get time I may well recall a few stories (adventures) that me and my dad's Lancias got up to.

Dave
cheeky monkey

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »

Welcome to the Forum Skirmish

Get a Beta of any kind...You know it makes sense :-)

If you need help any burning the focus then just let us know

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:47 PM »

Welcome Dave,

Good to hear that your thinking of getting back into a Lancia.

There seem to be decent cars come up for sale fairly frequently, I guess it all boils down to budget and which Beta your looking at (Coupe/HPE/Berlina or a Trevi?)  There are plenty of people on here that will be able to advise you a wealth of first hand Beta experience available at your fingertips. :-)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Skirmish

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:16:27 PM »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
I think the offer to burn my Focus is a bit harsh as it's actually a very good, if somewhat boring, car. Besides I reckon, due to the increase in used car values I could get more for it now than I paid over a year ago.

Regarding my desired Lancia. Obviously the only thing that could well and truly get rid of my itch would be a Stratos. Failing that I always had a soft spot for Monte Carlos and then it would be the HPE and Coupe. Afraid the Trevi in my eyes is very much a Specsavers car so that's a big NO NO!
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »

Prices of real Stratos are start around £90,000 for a Stradale. The Hawk replicas are great value but are not an easy build.  The Monte Carlo is a great looking car, I was very taken with the cars at this years NEC Classic Car show.

Either way you'll enjoy driving your lancia and that's the main thing. Although a Stratos is a bit of a handful !

I like pottering around in my Beta as much as I like driving my daily driver (BMW)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Skirmish

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 12:09:34 AM »

I realise that a Stratos is only a dream, but hey, you never know. Some unknown rich old Aunt may pop her clogs and leave me a mint someday...........

Realistically I've always really liked the Beta Coupe so a nice one of those would do very nicely I think. Plus I spent many a day under my dad's Beta saloon bonnet so I've got a good working knowledge on those particular models.
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »

Some unknown rich old Aunt may pop her clogs and leave me a mint someday...........

probably a clapped out Polo
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:57:43 AM »

...as regards Beta the number of really nice ones ever for sale is surprisingly limited I don't think there is any particular model that deserves overall preference although I suppose that the injection 2 litre is the best all rounder whilst lacking the purity of design and sheer mad 70s-ness of the early cars especially the interiors. If you find a really nice one in budget you would be wise to snap it up.
AussieKev

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »

Dave,
        Just do it! When you see the Lancia that appeals.
        I have an immaculate Spider that I bought 6 years ago from a dealer who did not know what it actually was. It has been lovingly restored  by a previous owner but is too good to use as a daily driver on our roads. (Like most Aussies I have a FWD for the daily battle).
        So I needed another Lancia for fun. Spotted one on the net. Bought it sight unseen. Flew to Melbourne last Tuesday and drove the 820kms home without incident in a shade under 8 hours. Great fun, which is what Lancias are all about. Sure it is not perfect and I am learning to find second gear. The tin worm will need treatment at some stage and the seats are shabby. When the wife suggested I was mad I just mumbled that a Hayabusa could be the alternative!
          Putting the fun back into driving is what these cars are all about.
          Merry Christmas.
          Kev
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: