Lancia Beta Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:40:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest performance upgrade ever!  (Read 3733 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: August 04, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »

I saw a pair of red painted Lancia cam covers on e-bay the other day which fetched in the region of €80 plus shipping and I thought I'd give painting a pair a go.
Car now idles better, accelerates quicker and stops shorter!
Actually, I haven't even driven it since, but what with the painted cam covers and now matching timing belt cover, it looks like it should!
Cost about €26 for paint, etch primer and plastic primer. I'm happy (and easily amused) and have skilfully avoided doing much more necessary and boring jobs to the poor car.
Next, I'm off to fit a set of multi spoke 15" alloys which have sat unused (with new tyres) in my workshop for the past six years since my daughter bought them for a Corsa she never put on the road.
New spacer rings and wobble bolts cost a tidy £42 so very cheap upgrade while I'm refurbishing a set of O.E. wheels. I'll have to buy new tyres though as I'm getting concerned about my 20-plus -year -old Goodyear NCT's although they still show no signs of deterioration as they were off the car and stored in a loft. Still, I got away for a long time and no point pushing my luck any farther.
Finally getting around to having the front (pre facelift) seats reupholstered as the facelift set I put in as a get-by have started to come apart at the seams and they look crap in the otherwise tan and brown interior anyway.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 07:29:34 PM »

Hi

Not sure where you are or if you need someone to do the job, but can recommend the guy I used to have mine recovered, and no he does not charge the earth and is a a really nice guy to boot.

He is located in Melton Mowbray, Message me if you want his details.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:41 AM »

Thanks Peter, but I'm in southern ireland so the shipping would be prohibitive.
I have lined up three "prospects" and I need to see several samples of their work and be confident thet understand the relatively complex pattern of these seats.
I don't want ending up with generic plastic bags pulled into an approximate shape as I've seen in some cases.
It's mostly the stitching and former wires that have gone on my original seats so the cushions have lost their centre tuck and have become baggy and formless and it's this detail that most concerns me.
Still, one of the three must be as good as I'm told so I'll wait and see.

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »

Hi

Yes, does not make sense to ship, much better hand carried. Best of luck with your search, and yes I would get some references, I was lucky, sort of a friend of a friend who has been in the business for many years and has worked on a wide range of cars including Rolls and Bentleys as well as buses, so knew exactly what he was doing. The seats came back in much better order than when they went away, and in truth they were not that bad when I sent them, but wanted leather, rather than the old vinyl which for the purist may be sacrilege, but far more acceptable in this day and age and for me.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »

The red paint on my Trevi's cam covers is peeling off  Embarrassed No wonder the car is too slow, the brakes are useless and the idling is lumpy  Cry I better get some red paint....  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
VXdeMayo

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

Dear all,
I now see that red cam covers really do seem to improve performance all round. I am now worried that my recent strip and repaint of my cam covers into a crackle black finish will result in a negative effect all round? (For instance the car refusing to go out in public without being covered in a matching vinyl roof etc??)
Perhaps that would explain why I have not seen her come out of the garage recently?

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Best,
Chas and Anne. Huh?

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
droptop

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

Dear all,
I now see that red cam covers really do seem to improve performance all round. I am now worried that my recent strip and repaint of my cam covers into a crackle black finish will result in a negative effect all round? (For instance the car refusing to go out in public without being covered in a matching vinyl roof etc??)
Perhaps that would explain why I have not seen her come out of the garage recently?

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Best,
Chas and Anne. Huh?

It'll probably perform like a Corolla twincam so be careful it doesn't start doing donuts and generally twatting about in a RWD-Boy racer fashion! (Although I'd love if the Beta was RWD)

Rust never sleeps
droptop

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

The red paint on my Trevi's cam covers is peeling off  Embarrassed No wonder the car is too slow, the brakes are useless and the idling is lumpy  Cry I better get some red paint....  Grin

Maybe some of those self adhesive "Brembo" caliper covers too?

Rust never sleeps
andybeta

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »

Is it 1st April???
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:24 PM »

Is it 1st April???

Might as well be, mine cam covers are staying grubby and metal coloured, so engine will go just as it did....

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »

Ahem...

(Checks avatar)

No it's not he 1st of April. I've long been telling people they add 10bhp
VXdeMayo

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »

Chaps,
Apparently a good "gas flowed" pair of Cibee "Super Oscars" are worth between 18-20 BHP. (Unless you actually switch them on, then the alternator will groan under the load and you lose it all again!..... Yah, yah, yah.)

HTH
Bar Room Billy. Cool

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »

And as for the HiFi body kit and go faster stripes.......

Definitely a must have on the list.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »

Chaps,
Apparently a good "gas flowed" pair of Cibee "Super Oscars" are worth between 18-20 BHP. (Unless you actually switch them on, then the alternator will groan under the load and you lose it all again!..... Yah, yah, yah.)

Funny you should mention that!
Fitted a pair of standard Oscars early this year following the "blind" drive I had after our (Lancia Motor Club Ireland) end of year bash last December. Grin
Unsure of the actual power gain but at least the visible distance now exceeds the stopping distance so it does in fact enable faster driving.

HTH
Bar Room Billy. Cool

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: