Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:01:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering takes a turn for the worse.  (Read 1565 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: September 20, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

I don't know if there's a new factor at play here but recently I removed the seized steering damper form my spider and fited new front tyres.
Now, as I have mentioned in a previous post, the steering is much lighter and almost like power assisted steering at anything above parking speed and the tyres have left the running very smooth since I discovered the old ones were warped and unevenly worn.
Now the thing is, I hadn't really driven the car much since these jobs were carried out but last Sunday I completed a 180 mile round trip and I found a peculiar quirk in the steering.
At the apex of a bend, the car would appear to shift direction as if I had suddenly steered against the bend and any slight attempt at correcting it would result in the front end diving back into the bend and oversteering towards the centre of the road.
Driving speeds were moderate and this happened at various stages along the route so I can't blame a particular surface and it would happen in either left or right hand bends.
It was a bit disconcerting and I found it particularly noticable upon lifting off the throttle or when maintaining a constant pace but if I braked before the bend and accelerated, even gently, through it, the result was a stable and smooth progression through the curve even on "Z" type double bends.
It was a stretch of road I have only driven a few times but never noticed any peculiarities such as reverse camber or slippery surfaces.
I was travelling in convoy with four Integrales, a Fiat 124, several modern Alfas and a 1960's Fiat 500 Abarth which aside from myself was the only one seemingly experiencing any difficulties as it seemed to run wide particularly on right hand turns.
I didn't get a chance to speak to the driver but the car appeared in generally less than good condition and may have been some hastily assembled project.
Sorry about the long rambloin post but I'm hoping some of you might offer a little insight into the problem if indeed one exists and I've tried to preempt obvious questions regarding road conditions, speed etc.
The tyres are  Firestone 185/60/14 and I suppose they might be a little unworn if that's a factor but before the journey and on a couple of short runs I did "bed them in" with wheelspin and some agressive driving on dry surfaces to remove the glaze.

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »

I've not heard of anyone using a car without the steering damper before so you're in new territory there so that could well be the problem? Skittishness on corners in my cars has always been down to shock absorber problems.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 04:17:54 PM »

Try a full proper 4 wheel alignment it can make a massive difference

droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »

I plan to fit new bushes and ball joints all round along with new shocks and springs over the winter months so a four wheel alignment will be on the cards then.
I'm not sure how much work will be involved with the rear end as I've never touched it to date but I'll soon find out.
Thanks for the advice.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: