Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Dampers - progress so far  (Read 4826 times)
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

So, now that the availability of replacement/alternate parts for the two Beta Engine dampers has been resolved I turned my attentions back to the problems with sourcing the Beta steering dampers.

It is a very rare thing to see an intact damper on a car, I would bet good money that most dampers have long since blown their seals and leaked their fluid all over the steering rack and control arms and hence providing no actual damping to the steering at all.

I have spent hours and hours spaced over a six week period searching out a direct replacement of the original unit, but in true Lancia style they choose a damper with a unique length of travel that I have not found on any other make of car. Good luck to you if you wish to go try looking for yourself, but I got fed up with dead ends and polite apologies from various damper manufacturers.

The bottom line is that I don't think there is a direct replacement, so something has to be modified to suit.  Ultimately there are only two things that can be modified, one being a damper itself that is a close fit or two the bracket that the damper fixes onto at the near side of the steering. (See attached picture)  I opted to leave modification of the damper well alone and go for something with a damper with a bushed eye at each end, I had thought about cutting the eye off and welding a stud in its place, but welding something to a sealed container of oil/fluid is not a wise idea.  So the bracket was the way to go.

I have considered modifying the existing bracket, but it would mean cutting and inserting a section of steel then welding it all up.  I did not think this would look good and I suspected that the two welds would always be a weakness which I did not want to worry about when you consider long term use.  So a new bracket and boss has been made to accept an off the shelf steering damper that has slightly more travel than is actually needed.

The new bracket has been made from 3mm stainless steel, rather than the 2.5mm used by Lancia in the original bracket, plus I have included the folds for additional strength as this new bracket is longer than the original, so I wanted to beef it up a bit to be on the safe side.

Next stage is to fit to my S2/FL and do some testing. While I know that the damping will be "as it should be" I'd appreciate peoples input on how long I should test this for. 

I will probably make up a batch of these after the road testing phase if people are interested and sell it as a kit.   All you will have to do is just remove old bracket and damper and replace with these components.  It wont cos't the earth, currently I think it will be around the £65 mark and will include the new damper & boss, washers plus a nice solid, zinc plated bracket.

* IMG_0428.JPG (170.55 KB, 979x734 - viewed 392 times.)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

Hi Matt

You are obviously a man on a mission.... for which I have to thank you.

One question, are all the early cars with this design of rack?

Just looked at mine and does look like the damper is attached using a similar bracket.

Assuming it is the same one, then put me down for one as looks like the original one is probably fitted to mine.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »

Yes, I'm kind of on a mission.....  Grin    Personally, I'd like my Betas to deliver the driving characteristics as they were when the car was new or at least fairly young!

There is a vast difference in a cars handling when you have everything working as it should do and for me it increases the enjoyment I get from driving it.  I'm just trying to make it as enjoyable as possible, I don't want to take it for a spin and drive it thinking "shame about the vibration in the steering" or "shame the handling is poor because the bushes are shot".

It would be an interesting experiment to take a Beta with old wishbone, front & rear ARB bushes, old suspension, engine and steering dampers and drive it for 50 miles - then swap all those components for new parts and drive another 50 miles to feel the difference in handling and feedback from the car.

To my knowledge the damper bracket is the same on all manual steering racks, my S2 and S2/FL look identical but I've not taken them off and compared.  The prototype No.1 may well go on my S1 as thats still in the body shop and the refined prototype No. 2 will go on my S2/FL, I do not think compatibility will be an issue.  But I will check my S1 and S2 parts manuals.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »

i was under the impression that some early cars didnt have a damper fitted?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »

with regard to new vs worn out about 15 years ago i had a beta berlina that had 18k on the clock and had been given a very easy life from new, the taut and rigid feel of the way it drove was something of a revelation l really wish that i never sold it and i doubt that any rebuild could totally replicate the feel of that vehicle
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »

Ya know what, Matt? It'd be wonderful not to have numb hands after a drive.
My hands feel like I've been using a chainsaw for hours after a long journey in my spyder and there is no sign of a damper ever haing been fitted.
I'm sure my wood rim Momo wheel doesn't help but the padded leather one wasn't much better and was too small on a car without power steering anyway.
My car is a very original example with only 36k miles and I'm the second owner so it's unlikely it was removed so maybe this answers the question as to whether all cars even had them.
I'll certainly be wanting to purchase a kit when they become available and thank you for your hard work sorting this issue.

Rust never sleeps
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:49 PM »

Frank,  I'll pop a couple of photos up tomorrow so you can have a look at your steering rack, I'd bet your damper was removed altogether at some point.

As you said your car had a small leather steering wheel fitted and now a Momo neither of those are standard so someone's tinkered with the steering at some point. 

If you find a VX (leather) steering wheel that's about the best thing (IMHO) for manual steering, it's large enough and a bit thicker than a standard wheel so easier to grip!

Driving one of my Betas used to be like operating a Kango so I know what you mean about sore hands Smiley

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 07:11:58 AM »

Actually, the car had a standard wheel when I bought it and the "go kart" spec Mountney was my addition followed by the Momo which was an Xmas present, so no one to blame in that department but myself.
I have a power rack, pump and reservoir lying idle in my pile, but I'm not really on for fitting it as I think the whole driving experience would be altered for the worse.

Rust never sleeps
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »

And converting from manual to power steering is not an easy conversion!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »

must say  that i do find the  ps set up preferable overall less turns lock to lock still quite precise and easy at parking speeds perhaps a little bit light at speed though
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »

First picture is where the bushed eye of the original damper is bolted and the second picture shows the original Lancia damper bracket loosely fitted.  The steering control arms are not fitted in this picture as I am trying to locate the new poly bushes in one of the 30 large boxes of Beta parts I have in my garage.

Boy, do I miss all my tools & car stuff  Sad

* IMG_0433.jpg (222.6 KB, 734x979 - viewed 346 times.)

* IMG_0434.jpg (201.71 KB, 653x490 - viewed 465 times.)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

Hi Matt,

Once again I am hugely impressed with your determination to hunt something down and bring it to a successful conclusion. Please put me down for a kit when it comes to fruition. How's the move to France going, by the way? I'm currently up on a roof in the South of France installing a solar hot water array with a builder friend of mine. Great fun - depending on how you define fun of course...

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »

Matt

Is this a steering rack out job in order to replace the damper/bracket?
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 08:53:31 AM »

Neil,

No, the bracket and the damper can be replaced with the rack in situ. 

I would say that it will be easier if the car was up on a ramp, but it would be possible albeit more difficult if the car was just jacked up.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
fulviafiend

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »

Matt,

Very interested in your kit (superb work for finding a solution) been looking for something to tame the steering a little on the Alitalia Beta for a while. With no weight on the front powersteering is not needed but at speed bump steer etc can be vicious at present.

Mark.

1983 Lancia Beta Coupe 2000ie

http://www.rallylegendreplicas.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: