Lancia Beta Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:17:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Spider hood - 2 sizes yes or no?  (Read 3405 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: December 18, 2010, 07:40:36 PM »

Hi All

I was all set to buy a new hood for my spider when I came across this post in the archive section which implied that there are 2 different sizes of hood for the Spider.

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=115.0

There was no satisfactory expalnation as far as I can see, so can anyone throw any light on what the full story is and hence what I need to look out for?

For the record I have a Series 2 pre F/L 1977 reg car.

Many thanks in advance. I am also going to post on LMC and Lancisti site to see if anyone there has any info and does not monitor this forum.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »

The parts books do indeed list the same part number for S1 ans S2 pre F/L cars so there shouldn't be any diference.

So long as they get the old hood for reference you should be fine though.

Stuart
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »

my parts book shows a different part number for the hood on series one also different numbers for one of the seals and the rear wings which include the pillar. some parts appear to alter at series 2 and some early during series 2 production (probably the change over top reinforced version(??). The part number difference may just be different material as opposed to dimensional differences of course   
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »

Hope these are clear enough best I could do!!

series 2 pre facelift

soft top = 82333857

roof section = 82326330

Series 1

soft top = 82319657

roof section = 82305478

some other bits and bobs are different part numbers as well

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:55:39 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:09:45 PM »

Having gone back and checked this it would seem that you're 100% right and I was 100% wrong on this.  Undecided

No idea how I missed that but my apologies!
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:15:42 AM »

Having gone back and checked this it would seem that you're 100% right and I was 100% wrong on this.  Undecided

No idea how I missed that but my apologies!

no worries I get confused with Betas all the time I sometimes think Lancia did too Shocked

I had a look at the S1 and S2 brochures which have pictures of the spider at very similar angles I can see that the hardtop section would be different as it will have to turn at the edges to meet the frame-less glass in the doors so at the very least will have different rubbers on the edge but I honestly can't see any reason why the hood would be different aside from possibly being a different material, I'm not all that familiar with spiders so don't remember if they were all vinyl hoods or not(??)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:12 AM »

You might also wonder why various European countries had a different hood to to others. Something to do with temperature possibly?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.

There I was feeling all safe and secure in thinking there was just one hood and I could just order away with no worries and now I am starting to get paranoid about it, I guess the original UK spec is what I have which is a fairly heavy Vinyl. I was hoping to go for mohair look as for me it has a bit more style about it, so I guess the question remains without an absolute answer, other than supply the original to the maker and hopefully it will be ok!

Many thanks again.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for your efforts much appreciated.

There I was feeling all safe and secure in thinking there was just one hood and I could just order away with no worries and now I am starting to get paranoid about it, I guess the original UK spec is what I have which is a fairly heavy Vinyl. I was hoping to go for mohair look as for me it has a bit more style about it, so I guess the question remains without an absolute answer, other than supply the original to the maker and hopefully it will be ok!

Many thanks again.

Peter

I think you are right that mohair would look the business I know that vinyl was original at least on the early cars but I'd go for something posher myself, if you were really ambitious you could try to find a US market rear hardtop although tbh you've more chance of winning the Euromillions draw than getting one of those

rossocorsa
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »

You might also wonder why various European countries had a different hood to to others. Something to do with temperature possibly?

if you look through the parts books there are numerous examples of this including of course the Italian market spider bumper with the recess for a square number plate, an option of a rear fog light integrated into the back bumper (not hung on like an afterthought as per the S2FL2 cars) not seen that on a UK car. Headlight wash/wipe for Sweden (they look absolutely bizarre never seen an photo of a car with them fitted) 
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

I think you are right that mohair would look the business I know that vinyl was original at least on the early cars but I'd go for something posher myself, if you were really ambitious you could try to find a US market rear hardtop although tbh you've more chance of winning the Euromillions draw than getting one of those

I never realised there ever was 'hardtop' for it. Would think it make it pretty ugly, anyone have a picture of one?

As to the vinyl, I think it was standard across the years in UK at least, but not seen a very late (82?) version, so cannot comment on them then.

Peter

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »

beta collectors guide page 62, looks very neat but apparently wasn't a success
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: