Lancia Beta Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:59:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New "old" Lancia  (Read 1434 times)
stevelancia

« on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »

I am new to Lancia, and have just acquired a 1981 Beta Zagato. There is a lot of freeplay in the steering, and when I accelerate (in any gear) the car pulls to the right and i have to countersteer to the left to correct for it. When I let up on the accelerator it pulls to the left, requiring opposite countersteer. Sort of like getting hit by a sudden crosswind. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem ?
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:13 PM »

Hi Steve,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Cheesy

It sounds like you have some wear and tear going on with your car.  Your steering rack could be worn, or the inner bush could have disintegrated, tie rods could be worn.  I would also check the condition of the front anti roll bar bushes and the wishbone bushes too.

How many miles has the car covered? And where in the US are you located? Heat plays a part in fatigue of bushes.

If its not the ARB or wishbone bushes the steering rack has to come out and thats not an easy job unless you have it up on a ramp even then it is a bit fiddly.

If it were me I'd replace all the bushes as it's easier to do the lot while the car is up in the air.

Have a look at the Beta Parts website and Look at the "Steering" and "Suspension parts " section.  I've just rebuilt a manual steering rack and am in the process of replacing all the bushes at the front. I bought all the parts from Mark W here at this link Cheesy    http://www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk/

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:04:52 PM by MattNoVAT » Logged

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »

Also worth checking that all four front subframe bolts are present and secure!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: